Luke 4:18 The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised...

Wednesday, January 20, 2016

The Military History of the Millers

Doyle's cousin, Malloy Miller, put together a booklet of his research into the Millers and some of their extended family members and their military service. Doyle is grateful this information was given to him and believes it is right to share some of it with the world. His mother, Alba Sara was a Miller and she told God that if he would give her a son, she would give him back to him. God caused her to do just that, as Doyle has shared on many occasions. The following is about her people.

Doyle's great-grandfather Newell Miller was born to William and Vashti (Green) Miller in Hartford Township, Ohio on July 28, 1842. On an 1880 Federal Census, William listed his occupation as farmer. William's father, George Miller served in the War of 1812. George's grandfather, Aaron Seekins was born in 1725 at Middleborough, Massachusetts. He served as a Private, under Captain Rounsewell's Co. of Minutemen, which marched on the alarm of April 19, 1775 for three days. He was also with Rounsewells Co., Col. David Brewer's 9 th Reg., three months, four days. He is listed in the Continental Army pay accounts for service from Jan. 8, 1777 to Dec. 15, 1777. His residence was listed as Freetown, term: three years. It is written he was taken prisoner and died Nov. or Dec. 15, 1777.

Newell's grandfather on his mother's side was Samuel Green, who was born about 1788. Samuel served in the war of 1812. Samuel married Sarah Jones and her father was Silas Jones. Samuel's father was also named Samuel and he was born April 10, 1751 in New York. According to family research, Samuel Sr. served twenty-four months, twenty days, in the Revolutionary War. He first enlisted on Jan. 18, 1776 for the term of one year. The commander of the company was Capt. Augustus Staunton and the regimental commander was Col. Henry Babcock. The regiment was organized at Newport, Rhode Island and remained there until the latter part of August. While at Newport a British ship of the line and some other smaller vessels entered the harbor. No British soldiers were landed. About Sept. 1, 1776, a new regiment was formed under Col. Lippet and they marched to Fort Washington on Manhattan Island. They were involved in fighting the British Army at White Plains. They then marched to Philadelphia, crossing the Delaware at Easton. Samuel recalled Washington crossing the Delaware (he was 76 when he completed this affidavit). Later, his regiment joined General Washington at Trenton. Around Jan. 2, 1777, they fought the British Army at Trenton and later attacked the British at Princeton and took about 700 prisoners. Samuel was discharged on Jan. 19, 1777 and in May 1778 he enlisted again with Col. Staunton's regiment and they remained at Tiverton, Rhode Island, guarding the coast until Mar. 20, 1779. He then joined for a month in a company commanded by Augustine Staunton. In 1781 or 1782 he served for a month as a substitute for a Quaker, who had been drafted and who "refused to serve on account of his religious scruples". This service was at Newport and later, he served for a month at East Greenwich, Rhode Island, guarding the coast. Samuel Green's name is listed on the monument honoring those who served in the Revolutionary War.

Newell's other great- grandfather, Silas Jones also served in the Revolutionary War. Our records show he was born in 1762 and if that date is correct, he was only 15 years old when he enlisted. He was a private in Capt. Warren's company, Col. Bailey's regiment of the Massachusetts Line. He enlisted June 10, 1777 for a term of three years. He was with General Gates' army at the capture of Burgoyne at Saratoga. His company spent the winter of 1777 at Valley Forge and he was with Lt. Muzzey when they stormed Stony Point under General Wayne. He was also in the Battle of Monmouth. He was listed as a Captain in his obituary so he undoubtedly had additional service after the Revolutionary War. He owned a considerable amount of land in Great Barrington and Tyringham, Massachusetts. He moved to Trumbull County, Ohio about 1815. Pelatiah Jones, also believed to be an ancestor, was killed in the Battle of Louisburg in 1745.*[1]

Doyle's great-grandfather, Newell Miller served in the Civil War. He enlisted with the Michigan 2 nd Cavalry Regiment, Unit B on October 2, 1861 at Danville, Michigan. His rate at enlistment was Private. He was promoted to a Full Corporal on January 6, 1864 and on June 13, 1865 he was promoted to Full Sergeant. He mustered out on August 17, 1865 at Macon, Georgia. Newell returned to Michigan and married Sara Louisa Paddock on May 19, 1867 in Ingram, Michigan. They had eight children, four of them born in Michigan.

Sara Louisa Paddock's great-grandfather on her mother's side was Abiathar Lincoln, Sr. He was born in Taunton, Massachusetts in 1759. He enlisted in the Revolutionary War July 10, 1776 which would have made him just seventeen years old at that time. He served in numerous regiments, at times guarding the coast, once on a secret expedition. He was with Brig. Gen. Godfrey's brigade when they marched from Taunton to Tiverton, Rhode Island on the alarm of Aug. 1, 1780.*[2] Sara's great-grandfather, John Paddock was born in 1765 in Nine Partners, Dutchess Co. He entered military service July 1781 as a private under Col. Marinus Willet. They marched from Kinderhook to Albany, then to Schnenectady and up the Mohawk River against the Indians. He was in the battle fought with the British and the Indians at the time British General Butler was killed. They then marched to German Flats and were four days without provisions. He was discharged at Fort Plain, January 1, 1782.

Abiathar Lincoln married Mary Babbitt. Her father was Nathan Babbitt (who was Sara Louisa's great-great grandfather), born in 1730. Nathan was a Minuteman*[3] in Norton, Massachusetts. He was a 1 st Lieut. in Captain John Cranes Co., 2nd Norton Train Band*[4] 1771. He was also on the Alarm List in 1757. Nathan was on the list of men mustered in Bristol. Co. by James Leonard, muster master. His service at Rhode Island was under col. John Daggett's Regt., June 29, 1778 for six months. Abiathar moved to Westmoreland, New Hampshire in 1786 and about 1809 he moved to Vermont. About 1837 he moved again, this time to Michigan, near Jackson where he is buried.

Nathan's great-grandfather, Edward Babbitt came to America probably around 1639 and family historians believe he came as a young boy. The earliest record of his name, Edward Bobet, is 1642, amongst a list of those between sixteen and sixty years of age, who were able to bear arms and because his name is not found in any other records up to that date, he must have been just barely sixteen at that time. His land purchases are recorded and he married Sara Tarne, in 1654. Edward was killed during the Indian uprising, known as the King Phillip's War, June 1675. Family history passed down through generations gives the account that after the family had found refuge in the fort, Edward returned to his home for a necessary item, taking his dog with him to warn him of Indians. On the way back to the Fort, he was pursued by Indians and climbed a tree to hide, however his dog disclosed his presence and he was killed. When he didn't return, a search party found him and it is presumed they buried him at that spot. The stone that marked the spot has been replaced and the original is now in Historical Hall. One of Edward's sons, also named Edward (and Nathan's grandfather) was a member of the Train Band of Taunton and family tradition relates that on one training day, there appeared among the spectators one of the Indians who had killed Edward Bobet. This Indian boasted of this fact to Edward Bobet, Jr., who at a later date avenged his father's death.*[5]. Edward Jr. married Abagail Tisdale and her father John Tisdale was killed by the Indians the day after Edward Bobet was killed according to "The Babbitt Family History".

Doyle's grandparents were Frank and Minnie (Virkler) Miller. Newell and Sara moved to Missouri sometime after 1878 and Frank was born there about 1883. Frank had a brother, James, who became a minister. Doyle remembers him as being of Disciples of Christ, but others speak of him as a Baptist. James' son, Paul Miller became an internationally known journalist. His first job with the Associated Press was in 1932 and he became chief of the Washington Bureau in 1945. He joined Frank Gannet's corporation, Gannett Co. in 1947 and was elected President of the company from 1957 to 1978. He was chairman and president of the Associated Press from 1963 to 1977. At Oklahoma State University, Paul Miller's School of Journalism and Broadcasting is located in the Paul Miller Building. Paul is quoted as saying , "Our actions must be determined not by mere compliance with state or federal law, not by public attitudes, but on the basis of doing the right thing." Doyle remembers as a young boy, staying with his grandparents and his Uncle James would come to visit. His grandmother would let him sit with them while they talked and he remembers them discussing politics. He has shared how his grandfather hated socialism and he wasn't afraid to make his feelings known.

Doyle's ancestors fought in nearly every war since King Phillip's War. It is obvious they were soldiers, willing to fight for life and liberty; some of them mere boys when they enlisted. God has given him the same kind of heart, though he is fighting a different war.

II Cor 10:

3 "For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:

4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strongholds;)

5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

6 And having in readiness to revenge all disobedience, when your obedience is fulfilled."

Contributed by Kathryn Currier


[1] Springfield, 1636-1886 History of Town and City by Mason A. Greene (pg. 261)

[2] At the outset of the Revolutionary War, the thirteen colonies lacked a professional army and navy. Each colony provided for its own defenses through the use of local militia. Militiamen were lightly armed, slightly trained, and usually did not have uniforms. Their units served for only a few weeks or months at a time and would return to their farms between enlistments.

[3]Minutemen were members of teams of select men from the American colonial militia during the American Revolutionary War. They provided a highly mobile, rapidly deployed force that allowed the colonies to respond immediately to threats of fellow soldiers in the war (hence the name). The Minutemen were among the first people to fight in the American Revolution. These teams constituted about a quarter of the entire militia, and generally were the younger and more mobile, serving as part of a network for early response.(Wikipedia)

[4] The earliest and most important branch of the Colonial militia was an infantry company known as the train or training band. At first, all men liable for military service were formed into the town train band. They were required to have a musket, bandoleers, two pounds of powder and 120 bullets. Bands usually consisted of 64 men. Large towns had several bands. Members were fined for unexcused absences.

[5] Source: The Babbitt Family History by William Bradford Browne

Other Source: Revolutionary War Service of Ancestors of Sara Louisa (Paddock)Miller and Newell Miller by Malloy Miller

"A Nation Bringing Forth Fruit" Page

Posting Index

No comments:

Post a Comment